Sunday 20 May 2012

Petrus: A Love Affair

This post comes under the unofficial 'Personal Faves' series that will pop up from time to time. Who knows when the next will appear? Who knows how many personal favourites I have? I'll check next time I speak to myself.

I should be more specific: whilst my wife and I know exactly what we mean by 'Petrus', it's actually Petrus Dubbel Bruin. Bavik brewery produce 6 in the Petrus range, including Oud Bruin (a curious, sour, oak-aged number), but this is a stand-out bottle we buy again and again.

Uncommonly, I must point out initially how cheap this beer is; at £2 a bottle online this is a factor that becomes impossible to ignore as some of the beers that I'm drinking exceed £4 per bottle. When you're getting a case of 24 it matters! Whilst this inevitably means that Bavik are churning swimming pools of the stuff, it's no bad thing if it all tastes great. One of its strong points is how consistent it is.

I surprise myself again as I tell you this is no complex beer; it's fairly straightforward in fact. It's one of the palest Dubbels you'll find, just about knocking on amber's door. Scent-wise, there's a strong caramel aroma with some gentle hops peeping out from behind. It's not particularly malty which is surprising; it's just got a charming sweetness about it.

The taste is a similar story, dominated by the caramel flavour. The aftertaste is inevitably sweet, with those hops just returning to provide a bitter balance. Some, I'm sure, would find it a little sweet but I return to it again and again, enjoying it every time.

If I had to have a criticism (which I suppose I should) is that the flavour is slightly too reliant on candi sugar (an invert sugar often used in Belgium). However, saying that, if you're a fan of Belgian Dubbels and haven't tried this classic then it's time to find your nearest stockist or get online. Sip, say yum, thank me.

Petrus Dubbel Bruin 8.5

http://bavik.be/producten/index.asp?ITEM_ID=7&PRODUCT_ID=26&PRODUCT_TYPE_ID=11

No comments:

Post a Comment